Saturday, April 14, 2007

Update on "crashed laptop" and new GPS

It is always interesting to me how events seem to line up and occur and either the best or worst time. In this case the crashing of my laptop , if it had to happen, was certainly well timed.

About a month ago, Barb and I started talking about her getting a laptop so that she can learn to write e-mails and communicate with all of you. We both acknowledged that I am very negligent in responding and when I do , it is often brief. She likes to say alot more and give more detail, so that when she dictates e-mails to me , I feel they are much too long. We began a process of visualizing a new laptop and believing that we would find one...........ie, the perfect opportunity would show itself. And so it did, we found a great sale on a Toshiba, with Vista Premium, dual core, 1 gb RAM and 160 gb hard drive. It had everything I wanted and we were both thrilled. And then, don't you know, 3 days later, the old computer crashed. I guess it was jealous and wanted some attention. It just did not boot into Windows and no matter what I did in restore, recovery, reboot, reinstall, reformat, etc., nothing worked. I spent one day on it myself and then, our friend, Kath, spent two days, including nights, trying to figure it out. Even talked to Gateway for hours to no avail. So we had to send it to Gateway for their "expert" repair services. And you see, fortunately, we had the new laptop to use. But Barb had to wait again to get to do e-mails. I was busy on the new one getting all of my programs and data back on this hard drive. And figuring our what will run on Vista and what will not. And updating Vista on what seems like a daily event. So while in Needles, Barb played poker each afternoon and I played Vista each afternoon.

The other new tech-toy I have been wanting is a GPS, but at the price of $700-$1000, it seemed much too price for us. And then, wow, we are at Costco, and there is one for $299. Seemed like a gift thrown in our lap and in fact, it was, since Robyn had been wanting to buy us a Chanukah present from last December and we could not figure out what to tell her. So I called her to say she had just bought our Chanukah present. It is a great little GPS, but is limited on RV spots. So also while in Needles, I downloaded all of the RV resorts that are in our membership parks. Plus, of course, I had to add all of the Walmarts!! So now we are experimenting with Sally, yes, we have named the voice that speaks to us. She does pretty good but does at times give misguided directions (or maybe we are misguided??).

So we are now in Vegas!!! Tamara is here from New York staying with us. We have had two days with Robyn, Scott, Zack and Ashley. Will add pictures and stories in a few days.

Love and hugs to all of you,
Linda and Barb

No comments: