Friday, December 07, 2007

Setting up a Print Server

I have just finished spending three days trying to set a print server. What that means is that if I really do get it to work correctly, I will be able to print remotely. For most of you who have a network using DSL or cable modem in your home, being able to print remotely is just part of the network. However, as full timers, who are not landbased, we do not have a cable that connects to a router that will act as a network to let us print remotely. Our wireless service either comes from an RV parks wireless service or from Sprints broadband card. Neither of these allows a network to be set up.

Up until now, if I am working at the kitchen table and want to print something, I need to take the laptop to the bedroom where the printer is and connect the USB cable to the laptop. I know the distance is not far but the inconvenience of walking all that distance...............well, what can I say. Often times, I read an email, click print, walk to the bedrooom, connect to printer, print, disconnect, go back to kitchen, only to read the next email and have to do it all over again. We do get spoiled , don't we.

After some research, I found out there is a gadget called a print server, that looks like a router. It works like have a computer connected to the printer and then the laptop connects to it wirelessly. So I purchased a Netgear wireless print server that would allow 2 computers to print to it. I was able to easily set it up using the wireless wifi of this RV park in AJ. The problem is that when we are on the road, I will not always have wifi. I have been online with Netgear tech support and they have sent me pages (3 pages with font of about 6) of setup instructions.

After many attempts and much trial and error and much frustration, I finally got the print server to work without having to have internet access. I had to work at finding IP addresses for the laptop, router, print server and laptop...........not sure what that all meant except it allowed them all to talk to each other.

And they are now talking...............And I can print from the kitchen. HOORAY... another task accomplished. And I must comment Netgear for their good tech support via email.

Love and hugs to all of you,
Linda and Barb

No comments: